Paradise Found

Paradise Found
Taz on the pier

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Petite Plus Clothing?!?! Does it exist?

Hubby and I took another cruise this year and had a great time.  With gaining and losing weight, I was worried about what to wear on the 2 formal nights we were going to have.  A lot of the people we know do not like to go to the dining room on formal nights, but we happen to LOVE getting all dressed up for a fancy dinner. 

I tried on several of the dresses I have and am happy to say two of them were to big.  Another two I could get on but just didn't feel comfortable in them.  I wore them on the Holland America line which is a bit fancier than Royal Caribbean.  I bought a purple one that is very similar to the white one Jennifer Hudson wears in some of the Weight Watchers ads.  I didn't quite get into it. 

I looked at Dillard's, Macy's and Bealls but didn't really find anything.  Being a petite girl (under 5'4") but a big girl (=overweight), I can have trouble finding dresses.  I love to watch What Not To Wear as it has really helped me choose better clothing.  There is also acolumnist I love to read in the People Style Watch magazine, Ashley Falcon.  She writes about plus size fashion and I just put my petite height spin on her suggestions.

I was getting quite desperate and started searching on line for something I could wear.  When you are petite, a 16W can hang on you.  Shoulders seams are on your biceps, the waist is near your hips, knee length is mid-calf, they just don't fit.  Most petite clothes lines only go up to 14P.  Where are all the designers for people with my problem?!?!?!?!?  Where are the 16P, the 18P and above.  AND, I don't want to look dowdy or frumpy.  I want to look stylish.

I almost gave up but then (trumpets please), I went to Belk's website.  I was not aware of this store until I moved to East Texas.  There were not any in Houston when I lived there.  It's kind of like a Macy's but not as big.  I found the most darling black dress that actully came in a 16 petite.  When I read the reviews, it appeared  the size was true.  Knowing I wanted to get a few more pounds off before we left I ordered in a 14P.

I could hardly wait for it to come.  When it finally arrived I was nervous about putting it on but it fit beautifully.  It is an R&M Richards design and I am so glad I purchased it.  It is floor length but a silky jersey material which means you can dress it up or down.  The best thing of all was the price of the dress.  I got it for $22.10.  Yes $22.10. I am so happy with this dress.  For the formal night, I pulled my hair back, wore high heeled sandals and borrowed my sister's wrap (another bargain from Marshall's).  For summer wear, I have some jeweled flip flops and will wear my hair down.  

Well, must close for the day, duty calls and need to finish the dinner dishes, yes, even Divas do dishes.

P.S.  Tomorrow will tell you about my grand entrance into the welcome back party!!!


The $22.10 Dress


Me (windblown hair and all) and Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment